Blog post #3

     As a student I have heard in every class I have ever taken, the dangers and the dishonesty of plagiarism.  Plagiarism is using another person's work as your own without giving any credit.  This is unethical and discouraged for many reasons, but the main reason being someone else did the work therefore they get the credit. Someone else information or knowledge cannot be used verbatim without acknowledging them or giving credit in any circumstance but especially if something is copyrighted. To copy right something is to own the rights to that idea, concept, song, book, etc. If someone does attempt to use your copyrighted item without your permission it could end in legal action. This is in place because many people rely on their idea being the only one of its kind. Otherwise they would be competing for the same ideas and it would not be a fair market. However, fair use is a doctrine that allows people to use very limited copyrighted ideas without receiving permission from the owner. This alleviates the need to ask for permission for little things here and there. It is very limited however to ensure the copyright holders right's are upheld. 

    In a society where technology is the forefront of our worlds, it is important to educate people on the dangers that come with it. The internet specifically, creates a place of anonymity and creates a space for things like bullying, plagiarism, or to inflict unknown terror. As a future educator it is our duty to embrace technology while also showing the risks that come with it, and how to avoid those consequences. Due to this double edged sword, some schools limit technology use even though it can be a valuable tool. For example, in my high school there was an app called Yik Yak. This app allowed users to post anything and everything completely anonymously. Some students of my high school took advantage of this to post hateful and mean things about other students. They also posted bomb threats causing the school to shut down for that give day. This caused the school to heavily limit phone usage on campus and resulted in suspensions and other penalties for students. This created a negative atmosphere for a very long time on our campus. Eventually the school found a way to block that app specifically while in the radius of campus so students did not have the ability to interact while at school.  My school was very fortunate to have very updated technology and access for every student. Not all schools are this fortunate however, and struggle to receive funding to purchase this type of equipment. This severely limits those students in a world that is based in technology. It is not impossible to adapt but it does cause a disadvantage for those schools that cannot afford the most up to date technology for every student.

    I am going to be completely honest in saying the newsletter was very difficult for me to figure out at first. I have never used canva before this class or done many creative projects on word. I figured it out as I went along and my favorite new skill was mastering the columns. In the beginning I could not get the correct length or spacing but eventually discovered how to navigate that feature. I am pretty proud of what I created as this is the first time I have attempted something like that. The skills I learned from this project will give me a foundation to create in the future. As a nurse I do not for see needing many newsletters but I could use these skills to provide information to patients for them to use after their stay at the hospital.



Comments