Blog post #4

 The very first standard declares the use of multiple forms of media to decipher the meanings of different words based on an 11-12th grade standard.  This can be done through different online platforms like thesauruses or dictionaries. The standard also mentions accomplishing this through printed materials as well but highlights the use of the internet or online sources. This was one of the standards that I do feel prepared for since I have done this through my entire education to this point. I frequently use these types of sources to write papers, discussion posts, and other assignments that have made me familiar with these types of sources.

The tool I chose is a model eliciting activity that creates an open ended discussion about real life situations. The activity I chose presents ideas and conflicts surrounding diabetes and the risks and choices that go along with it. I chose this activity as I do not know much about this topic; let alone how to teach it to a class. This website seems incredibly helpful as most teachers do not know everything about every topic ever. It is essential to have assistance for certain things especially topics such as diabetes and the very real world situations that accompany it. This type of resource presents options for teachers to use to present their lessons in different ways that best fit their classroom.

Being a good internet researcher is a crucial part of being an educator or good informant.  This is such an important skill because as I mentioned earlier, teachers do not know everything about everything. This is completely normal as teachers are also humans. However, being a good researcher means you can find the answers to questions you do not know. The skills we reviewed this week show how important and easy it is to find information on the internet. This can be done through cross referencing information and navigating several resources to ensure you have the correct information. This week has also shown me the extensive resources available for teachers and this eases my mind slightly. I am not someone who is overly skilled with technology and the amount of resources available for teachers has made the thought of potentially teaching unknown information just a little less scary. The internet is a vast place so it is comforting to know this class and the resources available are setting me up for successful with a solid foundation of information.

Comments